Attract-Mode is a graphical frontend for command line emulators such as MAME, MESS and Nestopia. It hides the underlying operating system and is intended to be controlled with a joystick, gamepad or spin dial, making it ideal for use in arcade cabinets. Attract-Mode is open source and runs on Linux, OS X and Windows.
Open Source, Cross Platform
- Built-in configuration menu, with on-screen help messages, for easy configuration of most settings.
- Frontend settings are stored in simple text files, so it is also easy to configure from your favourite text editor.
- Fully scriptable display layouts written in the Squirrel programming language.
- Supports many different image, video and audio formats, including SWF.
- Layouts can arbitrarily position, colour, scale, rotate, pinch and skew layout artworks, text, images and videos.
- Various built in animations available (Penner easing functions, fades, sprite animation, scrolling text, and many more).
- GLSL shader (vertex and fragment) support.
- Configurable screensaver.
- Display layouts/skins from other frontends (Hyperspin, MaLa, MameWah).
- Frontend actions can be mapped to any joystick, keyboard or mouse input (or unmapped completely).
- Built-in support for multiple monitors.
- User configurable sounds and ambient music.
- Supports screen rotation and flipping (including auto-rotation to match games).
- Plug-ins to extend frontend functionality and integrate with external programs (such as LED control or joystick mapping software).
- Exit hotkeys can be configured for emulators to force them to exit, even when they don’t want to.
Organize your Content
- Filter and sort game lists based on multiple game attributes.
- Easily mark and cycle through your favourite games.
- Automatically generate game lists from directory contents.
- Import game information from MAME/MESS -listxml and -listsoftware commands.
- Import game lists from Hyperspin and Mamewah/Wahcade!.
- Scrape missing game information and artworks from thegamesdb.net, mamedb.com and progretto-snaps.net.
- Catver.ini, nplayers.ini and history.dat file support.
- Track game usage statistics (times played, total time played).
- Steam support.
- Available localizations: English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Spanish.
Version 2.0 Documentation: