Despite a new wave of GTA 6 leaks, developer Rockstar Games reportedly has no plans to shift its August 27 Netflix gameplay reveal or alter other parts of the game’s road to launch.
Bloomberg reports that, as Rockstar’s lawyers subpoena Microsoft and Discord for potential account details on leaker Cyberleek, staff are also frustrated that GTA 6 has suffered another major leak so close to launch despite new security measures enacted after the last breach.
A source says Rockstar is still moving forward with the Netflix gameplay reveal as planned. Bloomberg cites an internal message reassuring staff that the actions of Cyberleek, a person or group which has used GTA 6 to pump a transparent crypto scheme and theatrically champion digital consumer rights, haven’t devalued their work.
The extended trailer has no direct precedent in games marketing: Netflix subscribers will get early access to GTA 6 gameplay footage before the showcase is uploaded to Rockstar’s YouTube channel about six hours later.
With GTA 6 due out November 19 after years of delays, Rockstar is likely looking to recenter the conversation in these final months. That said, by all observable pre-release metrics, GTA 6 is still on course to become the biggest video game release of all time.
Earlier this year, Rockstar suffered a third-party breach that, the company said, had “no impact on our organization or our players” and only impacted “a limited amount of non-material company information.”
In 2022, a much larger GTA 6 leak saw lengthy videos of an in-production build of the game spill online. Arion Kurtaj, one member of the hacking group behind the leak, Lapsus$, was sentenced to indefinite hospital stay in 2023. Rockstar later said that the leak cost it $5 million and “thousands of hours” of work.
