16 Bit World

Your Retro Game Source Outlet
  • Email
  • Facebook
  • Google+
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest
  • Twitter
  • RSS
  • Home
  • retro news
  • Dos Games
  • Genesis
  • Emulation
    • Amiga
    • Playstation
    • Android
    • Dreamcast
    • Sega
    • Wii
  • Sega CD
Search the site...
  • Home
  • retro news
  • Even after Elden Ring exploded, Hidetaka Miyazaki says FromSoftware doesn’t make games for anyone: “The motivation is that this is a game I want to see exist”

Even after Elden Ring exploded, Hidetaka Miyazaki says FromSoftware doesn’t make games for anyone: “The motivation is that this is a game I want to see exist”

August 20, 2026 / admin / retro news

FromSoftware president and longtime Souls series director Hidetaka Miyazaki says the studio doesn’t make games to target a specific audience. In his case, he says he just makes the games he wants to see.

Miyazaki discusses his, and the FromSoftware team’s, design philosophy in an interview with IGN. “We don’t really have a set audience in mind at the start,” he says. “It’s very much showing that this is what I wanted to make; the motivation is that this is a game I want to see exist.”

The Duskbloods comes at an unusual time for FromSoftware. 2022’s Elden Ring proved to be the studio’s biggest commercial success – and, to many or most fans, its finest RPG – which is the type of game that many companies would want to make a sequel for, or at least a similar follow-up. But ever since, and for several years now, we haven’t gotten even one of the single-player dark fantasy RPGs that the studio is known for today.

2023 saw Armored Core 6: Fires of Rubicon, the first-in-a-decade numbered installment in one of FromSoftware’s oldest series. Per our Armored Core 6 review, the game was great – but it (very deliberately) wasn’t more Elden Ring and didn’t scratch the same itch. Ironically, neither did Elden Ring Nightreign, an experimental PvE battle royale of sorts forged from Elden Ring assets in a cave.

The Duskbloods is the studio’s next game, and while it is a dark fantasy action RPG, it’s a multiplayer-first experience with a blend of PvP and PvE. Thanks to a Nintendo partnership, it’s also FromSoftware’s first exclusive game since Bloodborne, making it another outlier in about 13 years of otherwise consistent action hits.

Miyazaki says there was no grand design behind this brief multiplayer bubble, nor has the studio moved away from single-player games. “At the end of the day, our motivation is always to just make a game that we want to play, something we’ve been wanting to make,” he reiterates.

“There was never really any big plan that these two games [Nightreign and The Duskbloods] would both release next to each other,” Miyazaki continues. “I mean, that’s a different director, but both of those ideas just coincided with being multiplayer games. It’s not necessarily some big reveal saying that this is the direction we plan to go moving forward. We still have a heavy focus on single-player content as well. This is just something that happened to work out the way it did.”

A masked character in The Duskbloods holding their hand up in front of them while standing in moonlight

(Image credit: FromSoftware)

The director of Nightreign, Junya Ishizaki, joined by FromSoft producer Yasuhiro Kitao, said as much to me in an interview last year: FromSoftware is dabbling in more multiplayer, but its interest in single-player games hasn’t waned.

However, Miyazaki says it is “very fun to make a multiplayer game like this. It’s not something we’ve done a lot and we’re looking forward to seeing players’ reactions and getting the feedback.”

Separately, he explains that The Duskbloods leverages ideas that were brought up years ago but didn’t suit the likes of Dark Souls or Demon’s Souls.

Similar comments come up in a separate chat with Inven Global, with Miyazaki reaffirming that FromSoftware hasn’t suddenly lost interest in single-player games despite a small string of multiplayer releases.

“Our stance remains unchanged even now: ‘We make the games we want to make,'” he says. “The timing of planning The Duskbloods and the timing of planning by the [Elden Ring] Nightreign team happened to overlap by chance, and Nightreign just happened to be released first, which seems to have led to this misunderstanding.” The Duskbloods actually entered development before Nightreign, which reflects the quick-and-dirty development pipeline that Nightreign seems to have had.

Stop the Bloodborne hunt, Miyazaki says The Duskbloods is totally unrelated: “I almost regret putting the word ‘Blood’ in the title.”


2019

Comments are closed.

Recent Posts

  • “Steam is a monopoly with very few precedents,” says dev of game inexplicably flagged as adult-only by Valve: “As a developer, I’m completely at their whim”

    August 20, 2026
  • Borderlands 4’s next big DLC is a John Wick-inspired rescue mission to save a Borderlands 3 hero’s dog

    August 20, 2026
  • Even after Elden Ring exploded, Hidetaka Miyazaki says FromSoftware doesn’t make games for anyone: “The motivation is that this is a game I want to see exist”

    August 20, 2026
  • Riot Games is shutting down 2XKO development this year after a weak launch: “We haven’t seen enough players stick with the game”

    August 20, 2026
  1. Tom on BT’s Long Lost Super Nintendo ‘Interactive TV’ Service Trial Cartridge DiscoveredMay 19, 2025

    I have recently acquired one of these units, found in an outhouse and seemingly nearly unused. This is still in…

  2. Ian on BT’s Long Lost Super Nintendo ‘Interactive TV’ Service Trial Cartridge DiscoveredNovember 8, 2023

    Only 600 of these were ever made. I have #1 & #600 as I did the hardware design for BT,…

  3. John on BT’s Long Lost Super Nintendo ‘Interactive TV’ Service Trial Cartridge DiscoveredOctober 26, 2023

    Could you please contact me as due to the rarity if genuine your looking at a 5 figure sum.

  4. John on BT’s Long Lost Super Nintendo ‘Interactive TV’ Service Trial Cartridge DiscoveredJuly 17, 2023

    Could you upload a picture at all as not much is known about them. Is it numbers on back

  5. Robert on BT’s Long Lost Super Nintendo ‘Interactive TV’ Service Trial Cartridge DiscoveredMarch 20, 2023

    I have one of these

Recent Posts

  • “Steam is a monopoly with very few precedents,” says dev of game inexplicably flagged as adult-only by Valve: “As a developer, I’m completely at their whim”

    August 20, 2026
  • Borderlands 4’s next big DLC is a John Wick-inspired rescue mission to save a Borderlands 3 hero’s dog

    August 20, 2026
  • Even after Elden Ring exploded, Hidetaka Miyazaki says FromSoftware doesn’t make games for anyone: “The motivation is that this is a game I want to see exist”

    August 20, 2026
  • Riot Games is shutting down 2XKO development this year after a weak launch: “We haven’t seen enough players stick with the game”

    August 20, 2026

2014 2016 2019 Adventure Amiga Analysis Android Atom Available Awards Book Derby Dreams emulation Fight Football Forecast Game Games Gaming Genesis Girls Global Industry Launches Market Mobile Nintendo Online Partner Personal Playstation Releases Report Retro Sega Series Service Skater Sonic Sponsor Startup Their Touchstone World

@2013 16Bit World